The Athelstane Presbyterian Church was first organized in 1903. Until the church building was constructed, worship services were held in the Athelstane Schoolhouse. The land for the new church was donated by Alexander Martin. Many members of the community donated their time and effort to construct the new church, and it was dedicated on October 1, 1905. Early pastors served four churches, which included Amberg, Pembine, Athelstane and Wausaukee. These churches continued to have connections through the years, although presently only Athelstane and Wausaukee share a minister. 

The membership of the Athelstane congregation has fluctuated during the years but attendance has been helped by the annual influx of summer visitors to the area. The expansion project finished in 1998 has contributed to the present vitality of the congregation. There is an energetic Presbyterian Women's Group, which has played a major role in all church activities through the years. 

The Athelstane Church is known for its friendliness, its music and its mission projects as it seeks to worship God, to nurture the members and to reach out to others in the name of Christ in this northern area of Wisconsin.